Friday, June 13, 2014

Thing 22: Discovering Apps

As I've been working through the 23 Mobile Things website I've had the chance to discover many apps presented to me that I've been able to play with. It seems very fitting that our last "thing" be an app about discovering apps!

I decided to try the Droid of the Day app because I like the fact it is android friendly, targeted toward android only (no getting excited about an app and seeing it is Apple only!!) and introduces one new app a day making it easy, manageable and fun to learn about new apps. There is a lot of variety in the apps presented (games, note taking, productivity, etc.) which is nice so that there is something for everyone.

Upon opening the app, the app of the day is presented along with a brief description of the app. There is a thumbs up and thumbs down feature for like or hate, a link to share with others via messaging, email, etc., the ability to directly link with Google Play to download the app, a feature to flip through to the next app and a search function that allows me to search for apps.

There is also a handy app list, easy to use and adjust settings, a help section that contains FAQ's and brief user guide and a suggest an app feature. It is nice because the settings allow the user to adjust whether or not they would like daily notifications, as well as what kind of apps the user would like presented to them (can include or exclude certain categories) as well as what time of day the user would like to receive their reminders. It was nice to see so many settings that are able to be customized!

Although I like the ease of use of this app, and the variety it presents to users, I can't see myself keeping it as a means to discover new apps just because I don't tend to like to just look for apps to look for apps. If I figure I need something or want to be able to do something on my phone, I search for an app that fits what I am looking for. Although this isn't something I'm interested in keeping I can see where it would be very helpful for individuals who like to explore new apps and a very fun and easy way to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment