Thursday, June 12, 2014

Thing 19: Hobbies

Although the apps listed under Thing 19 don’t really reflect my interests, they were interesting to read about nonetheless. It appears there is an app for almost everything!

Roadninja sounded interesting and would have been nice to know about before taking my last road trip! I decided to try it just for fun to see what it comes up with near my home.

Roadninja is an app that works while you drive. It will automatically locate you and select the nearest exit or it will let you manually select your nearest exit if it cannot locate you. You can easily select what information you would like to see (gas, food, hotels, etc.) as well as how far off the exit you want amenities to show and what daily deals are offered. The gas portion I found especially useful because I do a lot of driving and I enjoyed the fact that Roadninja gave me the name of the gas station and the price of fuel for easy comparison! That was cool.

I tried the app from the comfort of my home as I don't live too far off a highway; it has a lot of great features for the traveler. Not only does it show nearby food and eating establishments (among other things such as hotels, entertainment, etc.), but it also will pull them up on a map if you desire, give you an address, phone number, ability to call the establishment in-app, directions and the ability to share the destination with others via text, email, bluetooth, etc. Certain establishments also link to Google reviews for quick and easy way to read reviews about others experiences.

I could see myself occasionally using this app for work as I do travel sometimes in order to switch locations and sometimes need to stop for gas and food. Usually I have a rough idea of what is available in the area, but sometimes I travel to a new branch or a branch I am rarely at and am more unfamiliar with the area. There is a lot of info and many useful functions packed into this app. It's free, but could certainly be the travelers/road trippers dream come true! This is an app that (obviously) requires data as it works as you drive which I would find a difficulty in using as I have to pay for any data I use, however, for people who have data plans or don't mind paying for data, this could certainly be a great app! Bon voyage! 

No comments:

Post a Comment