Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Thing 11 Library Reference

Thing 11 is interesting because while I help troubleshoot and guide people through using library apps I have very little exposure to them myself (aside from fixing problems!) just because I don’t have an e-reader, tablet, etc.
While reading through Thing 11, I did think it was interesting that the ELM portal was ingeniously designed to automatically adjust to each users device (computer vs tablet vs phone) and that the web address is the same whether a user wants to access the portal on a computer or a mobile device. That makes it super slick and easy!

As part of Thing 11 I downloaded a couple of counties apps since I tend to cross boundaries for work. It appeared that many of the counties (if not all), used Boopsie for an app provider. Boopsie is quick and easy to use. The app opens to a general breakdown of tabs such as hours and locations, search the catalog, my account, search the catalog, ebooks, etc. I find the apps easy to use because they are more basic breakdown of the library website, but still seem to have most if not full capability of the usual website.

Both the ELM Portal and Boopsie apps were interesting to learn about and I can definitely see myself keeping my boopsie apps so that I don't always have to log onto a computer the next time I want to place a request or check my library account. It was good to get a first hand experience so I can know what my customers see and can hopefully help them better in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment