Monday, February 17, 2014

Thing 5: Notetaking

Thing 5 is oh so timely. I have been searching for an app that does note taking, but is not just bare bones. While I'm not normally too picky with most things on my phone, I am finding myself being very particular about finding a good note app just because I tend to take quite a few notes and use the note function more than any other app on my phone. 

I tried a free app called "memo" for awhile which wasn't bad, but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. After trying "memo" I switched to "Color Note" which hasn't been bad either, but something is just not quite right in Denmark (or shall I say the library?). It has some to do list functions which is nice and a function for text, along with a few other features such as spell check and the ability to send the notes to others, but I'm still not 100% sold on "Color Note."

Bamboo paper looked more what I was looking for, but when I was reading more about the app and reviews it was apparent that it is more stylus friendly than typing. I would like to be able to use the app I select on my mobile phone so I'm seeking more of a typing friendly app as I don't use a stylus.

After looking through the remaining apps I decided to try "Springpad." It is nice because not only does it have the notepad feature, but it also lets you have a place to store info bits and sort them into categories such as recipes, notes, books, etc. which could be kind of handy. My favorite feature is that it is Google friendly meaning I can log into my Google account from my pc and be able to sync items from my pc to phone which is really nice. So far it seems very easy to use and intuitive which are big points for users. While the app has many nice features such as being very user friendly, ad free, a variety of choices for background and accent colors, ability to customize privacy options, add files, etc. I did not like the fact that you had to go into the app and then into a book and sort through the list just to see your notes...it seemed like a lot of extra organizing that wasn't necessary. 


Remember the Milk was nice because it was cloud accessible, however, I found the app to be much more of a to do list, which could be useful for others as it is very easy to navigate, has reminder options, etc., but wasn't exactly what I was looking for unfortunately. 


I ultimately decided to go with a free app called Note Manager that wasn't recommended by 23 Mobile Things, but was recommended at the Google Play Store when I went to download Remember The Milk. Note Manager isn't fancy, but does have the features I'm looking for such as just regular notes, reminder notes, picture notes and the ability to share notes. Thus far, I've been very happy with it. The great part about Thing 5 is that I had the chance to experiment with different note taking providers and explore what I was looking for, especially since I use notes in my personal and professional life quite a bit. 


Happy Noting! 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing a new app that wasn't on the list! Others will appreciate your notes on another app.

    ReplyDelete