Monday, January 20, 2014

Thing 2: Mobile Device Tips

Mobile Device Tips: Andorid Smart Phone

To complete the “23 Mobile Things” course I will be using my Andorid Smart Phone LG Optimus S L670. I’m pretty comfortable using my device so skipped over the basic tips and tricks, but there are a few things I could definitely learn such as how to sync my phone with Google Calendar, installing and switching between different keyboards etc. 

Prior to starting the “23 Mobile Things,” Google Calendar was definitely the feature I wanted to use most on my phone, but hadn't quite mastered. I had set up a Google Calendar account and found the app on my phone. I had managed to sync it, but had been having problems lately with my phone not updating after adding something via my computer. I’m not sure if there was a setting I was missing or if I had set-up the app wrong, but I was definitely looking forward to looking into this tip and trick to try and problem solve. I deleted it all, and found a set-up guide online that showed me how to set the sync settings in the “app settings” portion of the phone as well as under the calendar app. So far, it seems to be working! Huzzah!

While texting on my phone I noticed that there was a setting that would let me toggle between keyboards, but I didn't realize that you could download and install keyboards off the internet until I started looking up keyboard tips and tricks. During my research into different Android keyboards I discovered that an app called “SwiftKey” which is one of the best selling Android apps in the world. After watching a view on the Swiftkey website (http://www.swiftkey.net/en/), I can see why. The app does charge a fee so I didn't download it, but it was interesting to learn about nonetheless as well as see the different keyboard options available.

While exploring tips online, I ran across an article that describes how you can retrieve a lost app, even if it is one you paid for! This sounded super useful so I made sure to dig further into the article. Apparently all apps are saved in the “Downloads” section, so you can scroll through the list, click the one you accidentally removed and viola, it will re-download, no charge (even for a paid app!). 



Although I only looked at three tips in-depth, I definitely was able to implement them in my day to day usage as well as learn a few websites that have great information about tips and tricks for my future problems and questions.

I thought this was an excellent exercise in learning some tips and tricks since many library systems use Apps for their mobile library services. Being familiar with how apps work, some basic troubleshooting, and being able to research tips and tricks is useful in being able to assist patrons with their app questions and also improve my personal life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment